0.1 What's New in The Chaos Hypertextbook
22 August 2016
- Site redesign using HTML5 and CSS3. It's what all the cool kids are doing.
- Changed URLs all over the place to make it easier to code pages. This is mostly driven by my love of server side includes. Added plenty of redirects to the .htaccess file, so there shouldn't be any problems with 404 errors. No link rot here.
- Deleted warnings about "large files" that don't seem particularly large anymore.
- Added Open Graph and Schema metadata to improve the way pages are displayed on social media and search engines. Trying to make Twitter Cards work too.
- Reread everything. Made minor corrections.
19 August 2005
- Switched from ASCII to Unicode, which allows for the proper encoding of mathematical symbols, simple fractions, and greek letters.
- Fixed all the mathematical notation. Changed the equations from anti-aliased gif images to html code. Now when you increase the text size on your browser the equations scale up too.
31 August 2002
7 April 2002
- Calculated the fractal dimension of a natural shape — the silhouette of a bare tree. The source image is a highly processed digital photograph of an actual tree taken a few days earlier. Beware, it's big (2048 × 1536)!
22 April 2001
2 September 2000
- Expanded section 2.1 Strange Attractors. Added extensive information on the Lorenz attractor and how it relates to chaos. Includes lots of new images and one big movie.
- Added a significant number of new programs to appendix A.2 Software Resources (something approaching a dozen).
21 February 2000
28 January 1999
- Moved from <www.columbia.edu/~gae4> to <hypertextbook.com>. Changed the name from "Chaos, Fractals, Dimension" to The Chaos Hypertextbook.
- Made a cool new banner showing a Julia set cascade of the type explained in Chapter 2.3. Created this page and a page with links to this site.
7 June 1998
- Added a series of pages showing a zoom into the Mandelbrot set over 15 orders of magnitude.
19 February 1998
- Discovered the joys of server-side includes (SSI). Now pages have consistent headers and signatures, each controlled by one file. If that doesn't mean anything to you, then forget you just read it.
15 December 1997
- Completely revised and updated all four chapters in html format. Gave this new website the name "Chaos, Fractals, Dimension".
10 January 1996
27 June 1995
12 June 1995
3 May 1995