The data shows the crime rate in New York State per 100,000 people. Overall, the crime rate now much lower than it was in 1980. The crime rate has been decreasing from 1980 to 1985 and from 1990 till 2000. From the last 10 years, it can be predicted that crime rate will continue to decrease. Crime rate should also decrease because there has been a great increase in security since the attack on September 11th. It is interesting to note that crime rate has been decreasing during the administration of Governor Pataki. As more police are out in the streets, the crime rate will continue to decrease and hopefully New York State will become an even safer place to live in and visit.
Click for a larger image or to view the raw data file.
Source: New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services
Vitaliy Shchupak -- 2002Data and Story Project
- Altitude of the highest toy balloon flight
- Angular speed of the earth
- Height of the tallest building
- Highest critical temperature superconductor
- Mass of a dog
- Number of births in the US
- Number of crimes in New York state
- Number of pages in a science review book
- Number of people in the US
- Salary of a baseball player